Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Wow.

The blog Phuck Politics has brought to our attention the existence of a shocking but intelligently produced and enlightening video document of the so-called "9/12 Tea Party" protests in Washington DC. The video was created by something called New Left Media, and I'm telling you that it's worth watching.

For one thing, it's not just shocking but really really funny.



And also: infuriating. And also: sad.

One of the things that I think makes this video so excellent and informative is its tone and pacing. It has a distinct and consistent editorial voice, but this voice is not intrusive or partisan. Moreover, although ruthlessly candid, it does not go out of its way to mock or condescend to its subjects. This reflects good editorial judgment in that the subjects do a more than adequate job of hanging themselves with their own noose.

An effect of this good editorial judgment is that this piece manages to do more than simply give the viewer a headache. It actually reveals the confusion and ignorance of the vast majority of the protesters. While this doesn't necessarily make them sympathetic characters, it does leave you with a strong sense of the forces/interests that are misleading them and profiting off of their ignorance, their lack of education and their general superstitiousness.

Sure, these rednecks are dumb as rocks, but that's not what I find most frightening. What I find most frightening is that they lack common sense.

4 comments:

Jack said...

The interviewer (apparently his name is Chase Whiteside) is awesome. Thanks for sharing.

cft said...

He is awesome! I like how un-preachy and subtle he is with these people. I don't know if I would be able to remain that calm if I were surrounded by that stuff.

cft said...

His name can't really be Chase Whiteside, can it? If it is, then that explains his special powers.

phuckpolitics said...

@cft - Yes, he's name really is Chase Whiteside. And this video makes me hate my race.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to light up a joint in order to feel better.